Thursday, September 20, 2012

Home again. Home again.

(Disclaimer: I wrote this with paragraphs but apparently EBlogger doesn't DOOoo paragraphs and it took them out. So I apologize for the HUGE paragraph.) Reporting live from our new home, we have completed the most recent steps for the home study. We had to have cabinet locks, locked medicine boxes, fire extinguishers, etc. all here at the house though they don't have to be installed yet. While our house passed without any concerns, we are only approved for one child at this time (though we are open to a multiple birth adoption) because we only have one extra bedroom with a bed and one dresser/closet. So in order to be actually approved for placement of multiple children, we would need to have the "2 beds" and "2 closets or dressers" available. If a mother of multiple children chose us we would have notice and be able to get those at that time and then be approved so unless a mother finds us immediately it's all good. From what I understand, this is it. Now we officially just wait (for 6 months). If no child has been placed in that time, then we have to update finances, have another home visit, update whatever else is required to update, I think... I got lost in that conversation day dreaming of the possibility of being parents within 6 months. Meanwhile, Bradley is working long hours at his full time job and pulling at least one full day a week at his part-time job, plus additional hours as possible after his full time shift. While I'm happy that Bradley's working so hard for us, I miss him. But each hour he works and isn't here now, is possibly another hour he can then spend at home when we have a child. I'm loving my job and my supervisor just asked me the other day about maternity leave. Talk about a reality check. I've let him know that it could be 2 years before a child is placed with us... but I suppose it could be sooner, too. That brought up a new thought to me...maternity leave. While birth mothers are eligible for paid time off after a child is born for "Short-term Disability" neither of us (my supervisor nor I) knew if that would apply to me. I would of course be given unpaid time off for maternity leave and they would not let me go, but compensation for time off may not apply. Any adoptive parents know anything about this? I suppose it's best to find out as soon as possible. And then there is the preparation for nursing. Friends of Bradley and mine are eagerly anticipating the birth of their baby boy who they will be adopting ANY DAY NOW!!! She is going to be nursing and has had to begin a weeks long regimen of medications and daily pumping (with a goal of 8 times per day!!!)to trigger her body to produce milk in time for baby's arrival (ANY DAY NOW!!! can you tell I'm excited for them?). While they knew (5?) months in advance that they would be adopting their boy, I'm wondering how it works for mothers who don't know that far in advance. How far in advance is too far in advance? Then again, she also reassured me that of course if for some reason I'm unable to produce milk, there are organic and safe formulas or other sources available, too. While I hope to nurse for as long as possible while our baby is ... well a baby... I am a bit relieved to be reminded that there are options. Another thought that comes to the forefront as we are now approved for waiting, is fundraising. I welcome ideas for how to fund raise, find grants, or other means to help us to pay for the adoption costs. While we're being frugal and doing our best to plan ahead, the costs are still significant. We welcome ideas anyone has. The pay pal donations were very kind and those who donated are so greatly appreciated, but they only covered the application fee of $200. So we have a way to go to reach our goal of $6000. That will cover the adoption fees. We have already planned for and hope to have enough to pay for the mother's hospital bills unless she should choose to have a home birth or natural birth with a midwife only... which would be my dream come true (for the sake of her and baby... not because of the money). Anyway, I ramble. Time to go do some laundry and housework while Bradley's out working hard to provide for his family. Love and peace to you all who have taken the time to read this. Erica

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful update! I hope a sweet little babe gets to meet you two as his/her mom and dad sooner than later. You will both be amazing parents. :)

    ReplyDelete